Medicinal Genomics will accept stem samples or genomic DNA. Please follow these instructions for properly preparing and submitting both sample types.
Preparation and Shipment of Stem Samples
Medicinal Genomics will supply a collection kit and instructions for collecting and shipping stem samples. We prefer stem sample submissions for StrainSEEK and Whole Genomic DNA sequencing projects because we get more consistent and better quality gDNA when extractions are performed in our lab using our methods. There are also federal and state regulations concerning the shipping of cannabis samples that will impact a customer's choice of sample submission type.
Customers with higher sample volumes and in-house laboratories or other genomic DNA (gDNA) extraction methods available to them may submit gDNA samples directly.
Preparation and Shipment of gDNA
Medicinal Genomics will NOT supply any collection or shipping materials for genomic DNA (gDNA) samples but offers the following submission criteria and guidance.
gDNA Extraction Requirements:
- Each DNA sample is from a single plant/seed unless specifically pre-authorized for a pooled test.
- All tubes must be individually labeled with a unique identifier unless sent in a labeled plate/tray. If using a plate, a plate map must be both emailed and shipped with the samples identifying each sample in every position of each plate.
- Extractions should be done with filter or magnetic bead protocols to minimize any DNase being left in the samples. This increases the stability of the DNA during shipment and is especially important when next day shipping is not available. The following methods are recommended:
- Requirements for StrainSEEK gDNA Sample Submissions
- 50 uL of gDNA required
- minimum of 7 ng/uL gDNA concentration
- Requirements for CannSNP90 Genotyping gDNA Sample Submissions
- 50 uL of gDNA required
- minimum of 10 ng/uL gDNA concentration
- Samples will be quantified by MGC prior to processing. We will accept a trial set of DNA samples to validate that your extraction method produces DNA suitable for our testing requirements.
- Resuspend gDNA in TE or Tris Buffer. This way you can also QC the DNA to be sure there is enough concentration and volume.
Suggested Materials for Shipping gDNA:
- Cooler: styrofoam or plastic
- Shipping cardboard box
- Dry ice (preferred) or Blue Ice Packs
- Packing paper or bubble wrap
- Sealable and barcoded tubes for shipment
- Empty Matrix racks cat#50-823-921
- Barcoded 1.4ml Matrix tubes cat#NC9894570
- Nova BioStorage capcluster (any color, smaller quantities avail.) cat#NC0113991
- Strongly recommended
- Prevents loss of sample and cross-contamination during rough shipping/handling.
Instructions for Shipping gDNA:
- Place dry ice or ice packs in the bottom of the cooler.
- We prefer that gDNA samples are sent on dry ice. If shipping from overseas please pack with enough dry ice to ensure samples stay frozen over multiple days. If dry ice is not available use frozen ice packs.
- Place packing paper or bubble wrap on top of the ice to act as a padded barrier for the samples.
- Place all samples in the cooler.
- Add additional packing material to help secure samples.
- Ship the samples overnight for next day delivery to Medicinal Genomics following the mailing instructions provided at the end of this document. DO NOT ship on a Friday or the day before a holiday as the samples will not be received until the next working day.
Sample Submission Form:
- For smaller batches please include each completed submission form inside the individual bag or container with its corresponding samples. The submission form is included in the stem collection kit but can be downloaded here: Sample Submission Form
- For large batches of samples submitted in bulk or in plates (gDNA submissions) where submitting individual forms with each sample is not realistic, please fill out the sample submission worksheet as completely as possible. Download here: Sample Submission Worksheet
- Place a copy of the provided sample submission form inside the package.
- Email an electronic copy of the sample submission form to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Affix the appropriate address label to the top of the box. Please list your company name in the return address.
Medicinal Genomics Corp.
Attn: Sample Receiving
100 Cummings Center, Suite 406L
Beverly, MA 01915
Medicinal Genomics does not currently accept Leaf Tissue
With the passage of the 2018 Farm Bill, hemp is no longer a controlled substance and is now a legal agricultural crop in the USA. As a result, some products derived from industrial hemp are mailable under specific conditions. At this time, Medicinal Genomics elects NOT to accept cannabis samples even if certified as hemp due to the logistical challenges and documentation involved in doing so.